Friday, August 27, 2010

Reserving Judgement on Series

Forever it seems, I've been reading bloggers who love Alexander McCall Smith and his series which began with The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. Okay, if that many bloggers I usually depend on to recommend books I'll enjoy like them, I'll try the series. I got the first book from the library and read it while we were away earlier this week.

I can say that I found the book charming and the down-to-earth stories lovely little vignettes of human frailties. I liked the descriptions of the surrounding area and Precious Ramotswe's office and home. What I can't say is that this book would entice me to follow the series any further. The word that comes to mind is "fluff."

There is humor in Precious' approach to solving cases and her view of people she meets in her work, and I do like that part of it.

I think I'll try one or two more, hopefully I'll find the next books in the series, and then decide whether I like this type of book or not. I would appreciate some input from my friends at this point. Does the series get better as it goes along? Are his other books besides this series any more interesting? Should I just go on with other authors I really love and forget him?

No comments:

Post a Comment