Saturday, February 5, 2011

Astronaut Mark Kelly Will Command Endeavor Mission After All

I've heard some grumbling since Mark Kelly announced he's decided to go to space rather than remain at his wife's bedside. She of course is U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords who was shot in the head in Tucson. People are saying he's selfish, putting his own career ahead of his wife's recovery, and on and on.

I disagree. I don't know whether she is able to communicate at all yet, but from everything I've heard about her, I think she would tell him not to pass up this chance to do what he's trained to do for so many years. If she weren't recovering well, I would expect him to stay with her and to heck with his career, but she seems to be setting a record pace in recovery and rehab. She does need him, but she'll see him every day in communications from space and he'll only be gone a couple weeks. Meanwhile she will be working hard in rehab, doing things that are tough but all he could do would be give her moral support and encouragement. Her mother will be with her and will be able to make decisions in Kelly's absence.

I would love to know more about her progress but must admit it's none of my business. And his decision and the thought process behind it is also none of my business. Doesn't stop me from voicing my opinion though, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment