Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review: Brunswick Gardens by Anne Perry

It's been a long time since I had read an Anne Perry book. Not sure why except that there are so many other books I also want to read. Anyway, my friend gave me a box of books that included this Charlotte and Thomas Pitt novel. Good to read more about this delightful couple in mid-19th century England.

The characters are the best part of this novel which unfortunately drags in spots due to all of the characters' eternal, internal going over and over the possibility of others having committed the murder and/or the affair that apparently led to the murder. Thomas' investigation goes on slowly, but the interesting part of it is that the prime suspect in the murder is his former brother-in-law, a man Charlotte had been infatuated with until he married her sister. The sister died many years earlier and Dominic disappeared afterward until suddenly appearing as a minister in the house of his Church of England mentor where the murder takes place. Thomas still has ulterior motives in seeking evidence that Dominic is the killer.

The twists at the end of the story took me by surprise; I had things sort of backwards and I suspected the wrong person. Reading Anne Perry again was great fun, even through the lengthy musings, because the characters were so unique. I think I'll have to throw out my copy of this paperback because it's falling apart, but that tells me I'm only the latest of many readers to enjoy this book. I recommend it to historical mystery fans.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read an Anne Perry book but I do like a good historical mystery from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried Anne Perry. But it sounds like, from the condition of your book, that she is quite popular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not, as yet, had the pleasure of reading an Anne Perry novel. I must really hop to!

    ReplyDelete