Thursday, September 20, 2012

Need a Laugh? Look to Sharyn McCrumb

As I've been dragging a little while going through chemo, I needed a book that would make me laugh out loud.  Right there in my box of goodies from friends and book sales I found Sharyn McCrumb's If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him.  This is an old one of hers, from 1995, and I had actually read it back then but boy did it fit the bill.

It's a book about marriage and murder, relationships between families and, um, between species.  

Elizabeth MacPherson is part-timing as an investigator for her brother's law firm.  Bill and his feminist partner A. P. Hill are the funniest pair of attorneys you'll ever meet.  Bill seems to collect oddball clients and A.P. Hill is trying her best to defend a woman who killed her ex-husband and his new bimbo wife and is proud as heck of it.

There are several relationships to explore in this book, some real, some not so much, and there's even an historical twist, a murder by arsenic - or is it?  

I always love McCrumb's books.  Her slightly skewed sense of humor appeals to me and I can always count on her to make me howl with laughter.  It worked again; I'm all cheered up and ready to tackle the chemo again.  Thanks, Sharyn.

3 comments:

  1. I've met Sharyn a couple of times and she is so down to Earth. (She's a Hokie, too.) This book sounds great! I hope you don't have too much longer to go with your chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a couple of McCrumb books a few years back and enjoyed them. Glad it brought you some happy thoughts Barbara. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, You Hokie's are really something. I guess I'll have to forgive you for the nasty comments we got when Rutgers went there to play/get trounced a few years ago. :) Halfway through chemo.

    Diane, McCrumb's sense of humor always does it for me, especially when things are a little depressing around here.

    ReplyDelete